Medicare Child Dental Benefits Schedule
The Medicare Child Dental Benefits Schedule, or CDBS, is an Australian government initiative providing a capped $1000 (every 2 calendar years) per child of free basic dental services benefits to eligible children aged between two and seventeen.
What dental services are covered by Medicare?
1. Diagnostic. These dental procedures are usually covered. Diagnostic dental procedures include basic/comprehensive dental examinations and taking of radiographs/X rays including intraoral and extraoral xrays. Dental X ray safety is proven in research studies.
2. Preventative. These dental procedures are usually covered. Preventative dental procedures such as teeth cleaning and scaling, fissure sealing are covered. Fissure sealants procedure prevent larger, more expensive dental issues from developing later on in life.
3. Oral surgery. Does Medicare cover wisdom teeth removal? Is oral surgery covered by Medicare? These dental procedures are usually covered. Surgical dental procedures include surgery of the mouth and extractions of adult or baby teeth.
4. Restorative. These dental procedures are usually covered. Restorative dental procedures include placement of silver amalgam fillings or white fillings and fissure sealants. Procedures such as root canals are also covered.
7. Dental Implants. Are dental implants covered by Medicare? These dental procedures are usually NOT covered. These include placement and restoration of implants.
# From 1st January 2018, preformed metallic crowns and provisional partial maxillary denture are claimable items under Medicare CDBS.
More Information on Medicare CDBS
Medicare Child Dental Benefits Schedule (CDBS) is not available for dental treatment completed under General Anaesthesia at public or private hospitals.
Medicare Child Dental Benefits Schedule (CDBS) benefits do not count towards Medicare safety net or Extended Medicare Safety Net thresholds.
There is currently no medicare dental schemes for adults and no dental coverage for seniors. And for the question of ” Why is dental care not covered by medicare?”, please refer to Medicare dental Australia website.
For more information, please visit the Commonwealth Government Department of Human Services website.
Valley Gentle Dental proudly supports CDBS by bulk billing dental treatment for eligible children. Please ring us for more information, our friendly receptionist will check your child’s eligibility and schedule an appointment for your child.
- confirm your child’s eligibility.
- confirm your child’s balance.
- discuss your child’s proposed treatment and disclose cost claimed with Medicare.
- request you to sign a consent form agreeing to the proposed treatment.
What are you waiting for?
So, ring us during office hours on 03-51748338 to book your dental appointment with our Traralgon Dentist. Alternatively you can book your appointment online now – our online appointment system is available 24/7.
- Any Questions/Comments/Feedbacks?